Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Dubai Metro: Green Line Possibly Set to Open in September

So, according to Arabian Business who spoke to Abdul Younes at the RTA, the Green Line of the Dubai Metro is due to be completed in August and opened some time in September. No date has been set for this which I have to say leads me to believe that it is unlikely it will happen. How often have the RTA set dates for the opening of stations (and the Green Line in fact) - only for those daters to be postponed as they crept ever closer? I don't think I know any other country that would just announce dates and then delay them so frequently. Don't get me wrong, I think the Metro is a real boost to the Emirates public transport system but why lift up people's hopes only to dash them again? It seems to be a true local tradition to do such a thing - so many times I have heard people say - yes that will be ready in 2 weeks... 2 weeks later nothing happens etc etc and the Metro is just the same. If they could manage expectations they wouldn't have a country full of disappointed people - tell us the Green Line will not open until January and we can work with that. But tell us it opens in September, we make plans around that and you are only set to disappoint.

I guess time will tell but if there was gambling allowed in this country I wouldn't bet my last dirham on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment